Many e-Commerce site owners are starting to grow out of the rigid mold of
Squarespace and find themselves needing more flexibility. This feeling is amplified as product assortments
increase with Squarespace not providing a structured way to scale and manage a growing set of product offerrings.
Addtionally, the need for a more custom design that does not fit with the boilerplate templates offered by
Squarespace is another reason many are moving to more flexible platforms like Shopify, or (even better) a
truly custom e-Commerce platform like Moltin. Either way, at some point in time most e-Commerce websites will
need extended functionality that they just can't get out of the Squarespace platform
Ready to make the switch?
Switching your e-Commerce website from one platform to another is no trivial task.
One option would be to try to manually re-create everything from your Squarespace platform account onto a new Shopify platform
account, including all product data and info, layout and design, branding, webforms, navigation menus, and checkout flow.
This would be very time-consuming, and prone to many snags along the way due to differences between these two platforms. Unfortunately,
it is quite often not as simple as a one-to-one mapping.
If you are thinking about switching from Squarespace to Shopify, get in touch with us.
This migration is something we have a lot of experience doing, and we can help you ensure a smooth and seamless transition with minimal/no downtime
of your e-Commerce site.
If you are determined to try to perform this switch yourself, here are some steps you
can take to switch your Squarespace e-Commerce site to the Shopify platform. Just remember, we are only a call away if you
run into trouble!
- Sign up for Shopify and explore the general settings of the platform.
- Import your Squarespace web store data to Shopify. There are two major ways you can go here. The first option is to use one of specialized store migration apps that are specially created with this
purpose in mind. Actually, there are several of them out there, but the most popular and easy-to-use services are Cart2Cart, Bulk Discounts, Product Reviews etc.
Another option is to transfer
your web store data manually by exporting the products into CSV files and then importing them and customer lists in your new Shopify website.
- Make sure your products are organized properly in Shopify. This is especially important if you have used a migration app. If needed, add and update product details (names, characteristics, images,
descriptions, meta descriptions etc.). Create a product collection you’d like to organize, if there is such a necessity.
- If you wish to avoid problems associated with your inventory list, browse and select inventory apps to track the product stock and check, if you don’t run out of items you sell.
- Customize your Shopify website. Having finished uploading products, focus on your web store customization. Shopify abounds in stunning designs. What you need to do is just to select the one from an
extensive collection of themes, preview, install and customize it.
- Transfer the domain name. If you have an intention to move your Squarespace domain name to Shopify, you need to unlock it first to get the authorization code. With this purpose, go to the Home Menu of
the platform, reach the Settings section and then click the “Domains”.
Find the domain name you plan to transfer, scroll down a bit and uncheck the ”Lock Domain”
button. Then you’ll have to copy the transfer key from the corresponding section you’ll see in the control panel.
The next step is to get your DNS data from Squarespace. Access the DNS Zone
Tab and make the required updates.
- Adjust the settings. If you plan to sell physical products, set up your shipping info, payment and tax settings. You can do it in the dashboard of your new Shopify web store. Likewise, if you are
going to sell digital services or products, you can disable the shipping option there.
If that sounds overwhelimg, well.. it is! There are many things to consider when performing
a migration of this nature. Going from one platform to another is unfortunately not a trival task. Squarespace and Shopify are
competitors, and have not made it easy to leave once you are already established. But fear not! Page IT Services has your back.
Get in touch with us to find out how we can help you make this happen.